N 36° 22.599' W 75° 49.841' (WGS84)
Coordinates in Other Systems
Location: United States > North Carolina
Cache Type: Virtual
Size: No container
Status: Ready for Search
Date Hidden: 30 November 2016
Date Created: 30 November 2016
Last Modified: 04 January 2017
STATION DESCRIPTION DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934 (KGC)
THIS STATION IS THE CENTER OF THE LIGHT AT CURRITUCK BEACH, ABOUT 10 MILES S OF THE VIRGINIA-NORTH CAROLINA STATE LINE.
THE LIGHTHOUSE IS A BRICK STRUCTURE WITH THE LIGHT 158 FEET ABOVE WATER LEVEL AND IS LOCATED ABOUT 1/2 MILE W OF THE BEACH IN A SMALL SETTLEMENT.
IT IS BEST REACHED BY ENTERING THE BEACH AT THE SANDBRIDGE ROAD AND FOLLOWING IT ABOUT 30 MILES S.
THE STATION WAS AN UNOCCUPIED POINT IN 1935. ITS POSITION' CHECKS THAT OF THE 1931 WORK. STATION RECOVERY (1962) RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1962 (VRS)
THE STATION IS REPORTEDLY AND APPARENTLY UNCHANGED EXCEPT FOR AUTOMATION. IT IS BELIEVED NEARER 12 THAN 10 MILES S OF THE STATE BOUNDARY LINE. STATION RECOVERY (1962)
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1962 (SCM) STATION RECOVERED AS DESCRIBED. THE 1934 DESCRIPTION IS ADEQUATE.
STATION RECOVERY (1989) RECOVERY NOTE BY US POWER SQUADRON 1989 (RMS) RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.
STATION RECOVERY (1990)
RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL OCEAN SERVICE 1990 THE STATION IS LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 22 MILES NORTH OF SOUTHERN SHORES, NC IN THE COMMUNITY OF COROLLA.
TO REACH THE STATION FROM THE SOUTHERN SHORES JUNCTION OF HWY 158 BYPASS AND ROUTE 12, TRAVEL NORTH ON 12 FOR APPROXIMATELY 22 MILES TO THE TOWN OF COROLLA, NC.
THE STATION IS ON THE WEST SIDE OF ROUTE 12. THE STATION---CURRITUCK BEACH LIGHTHOUSE---ISAPPROXIMATELY 78 M (255.9 FT) WEST OF ROUTE 12. THE HEIGHT OF THE LIGHTHOUSE IS 43.9 M (144.0 FT).
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
The Currituck Beach Light is a lighthouse located on the Outer Banks in Corolla, North Carolina. An example of Gothic Revival architecture, the Currituck Beach Light was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1973.
On December 1, 1875, the Currituck Beach Light was completed, located between Cape Henry Light and Bodie Island. Unlike its fellows, Currituck Beach Light was not painted, leaving its brick facade visible.
In 1939, the lighthouse was automated following a merger of the United States Coast Guard with the Bureau of Lighthouses. The Outer Banks Conservationists (OBC) performed much of the reconstruction and refurbishing work since 1980 through private funding and volunteer work.
Since 1991 visitors have been allowed to climb the original 220 steps to the outdoor gallery. Access to the lens room is not permitted as the first order lens is not only the original lens, but it is still a functioning one. The light comes on every night and shines from 158 feet (48 m) at 20-second intervals to warn ships hugging the chain of barrier islands along the coast.
In 2003 the Federal Government granted OBC the title to the lighthouse itself. The Coast Guard approved OBC’s ownership proposal over that of an application submitted by Currituck County (the county in which the lighthouse is located).
Through state and federal legislative maneuvering, the county sued OBC to try to acquire the property. The case was finally settled in 2006. OBC remains the owner of the Currituck Beach Lighthouse.
As with any Virtual geocache or Benchmarking, photo proof of visit is required.
Log Entries 0x 0x 0x New Log Entry
05 January 2017 TermiteHunter OC Team comment